Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Working from home -- Not as easy as it would seem

I'm a master student since May 2010. I have an office at school where I can work. However, it takes a long time  to authorize money transactions and administration, so I do not have a computer at my office yet. Up to now, I have been using my personal laptop to work at school or at home.

But then, my laptop stopped working last week. Video card died. That would not usually be something so bad. My laptop is still under warranty, I called DELL tech support and then sent me a box so that I can send my laptop for repair.

That means that for about two weeks, I need to work from home. And that is really not as simple as I thought it would be at first.

There are actually good things about working from home. There is no need to wake up really early. No time is wasted in the metro. You take breaks to do stuff at home like starting the dishwasher. Overall it seems like a gain in time.

However, there are also quite a lot of bad stuff about working from home. Since I do not need to go to school, I do not necessarily wake up early. That is a problem since I prefer to work in the morning than later in the day.

I also realized the fact that I am not as comfortable when working at home than when I am working from school. My apartment is not an environment from work. I get a lot of distractions. There is no guarantee that I will have silence to concentrate. On a final note, it is also way harder to share ideas with co workers this way.

I guess I wish my laptop is repaired soon so that I can go back to school. I would not get this feeling about wasting my time. :\

No comments:

Post a Comment